How it works:
- Corrupt baggage handlers either steal entire suitcases, or break into your luggage for valuables in it.
- Night flights with inter-continental connections are the favoured target, as thieves will have the maximum amount of time to hide their loot before the thefts are discovered.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Luggage: use one with reinforced zippers, as a pen can break zippers of most luggage. Add another layer of deterrence with a portable lock/strap.
- Valuables: store in an anti-theft bag with you instead of in your luggage (easy to break into).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.