How it works:
- In 2017, the gardai (police) set up check points near Dublin Airport and found dozens of taxis taking tourists on a longer route or detour to inflate the fare.
Places to beware:
- Dublin: Dublin Airport
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots.
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license (report to taxiklacht.nl).
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or use taxi booking apps (e.g. Lynk, MyTaxi).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has 30+ transport options.