How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Hotel, airport, train station: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Train: thief gets out just before the doors close; luggage left in overhead compartment.
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Vaci Street)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.