How it works:
- Situation: money changers here do not have a very good reputation:
- Version 1: a common trick is to give old bank notes which are no longer legal tender.
- Version 2: using sleight of hand when counting your money to drop a few notes behind the counter.
- Version 3: give you a very bad rate of exchange by charging hidden fees.
- Version 4: there are also locals who claim to only have big notes and wish to change into small notes with you. They are likely using counterfeit bills.
Places to beware:
- Budapest: Castle Hill, Vaci Street
What to do:
- Make sure to count all your money and do not feel rushed into leaving.
- Scrutinize all coins and notes to make sure you haven’t been handed old currency.