How it works:
- Version 1: tout asks if if you want a “friendship bracelet”. If you say yes, a string/bracelet will be tied so tightly around your wrist/finger that makes it impossible to remove. Money is then demanded.
- Version 2: without asking, tout ties a string/bracelet around your wrist/finger seemingly for free. Once that is done, €10 is demanded.
Places to beware:
- Athens: Acropolis, Monastiraki, Plaka
- Rhodes: Mandraki Harbour, Fort of St Nicholas
What to do:
- Decline, keep hands hidden in your jacket/pockets and stay away.
- Alternatively, as shared by Matt from Athensguide.com: the best way to deal with the Athens African woven bracelets scam is to bargain with the first guy who puts it on your wrist and get it down to about 2 euros. Then whenever any of them come to do the same thing you just show them the one you are wearing and you are instant brothers and they leave you alone forever. Definitely worth 2 euros to have them leave you alone and sometimes you just have to compromise.