How it works:
- Version 1 (fake products): around street markets or touts around tourist attractions, you may find peddlers of fake perfumes, luxury products and electronics like iPhones.
- Version 2 (overcharging): at street markets or bazaars where prices are not listed, there is a good chance of being quoted astronomical prices as a tourist.
Places to beware:
- Athens: Plaka, Monastiraki
- Corfu: Corfu Old Town
- Heraklion: resorts
- Mykonos: beach touts
- Rhodes: resorts
- Santorini: Kamari Beach
- Thessaloniki: China Town
What to do:
- Learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, or only visit licensed, reputable shops. Do not buy the fakes as they are not worth it.
- Find out a fair price by going different shops or check with your hotel/hostel/driver, then bargain hard. Else, you can also check out fixed price souvenir shops.
- Alternatively, GetYourGuide (best day tours platform in Europe) has some shopping tours.