How it works:
- Version 1: one blocks you at the door (ties shoelaces/drops something), another steals from behind and slips to a third who escapes, and one blocks others from seeing the act.
- Version 2: some snatch your stuff and jump out just before the doors close.
- Version 3: at escalators, they trip or bump into you. Next moment, your valuables are gone.
Places to beware:
- Bus: X96 bus in Piraeus particularly at Karaiskaki Square, Airport Bus (78) in Thessaloniki
- Ferry: at Piraeus
- Metros: Blue metro line/train to and from Athens Airport, green line to and from Piraeus (the Athens Port), “popular” stations: Acropolis, Larissa, Monastriaki, Syntagma, Omonia
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).