How it works:
- Situation: Bombes is a potent cocktail that bar owners use to attract tourists to their bars. Unfortunately, to cut costs, some owners import cheap, adulterated alcohol tainted with industrial methanol alcohol for these drinks.
- Version 1: methanol is dangerous as it can lead to blindness, organ failure, or death. Just in late 2018, 17 British teenagers were rushed to hospital for methanol poisoning at a bar in Laganas.
- Version 2: besides adulterated drinks, there have been cases of drink spiking with GHB drugs as well, though this is more uncommon.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere: e.g. Athens; Mykonos; Santorini; Ios; Zakynthos; cruises; etc
What to do:
- Do not accept drinks that you have not seen made in front of you. Do not leave it unattended.
- Canned or bottled drinks are recommended as it is more difficult for someone to put a sedative inside.