How it works:
- Version 1 (straight accusation):
- Fake officers approach, flash their police badges, claim that there are many counterfeit notes here and ask to check your money and ID.
- If you hand them over, they may do a grab and run, steal your cash/cards with sleight of hand, or swap your notes with fake ones.
- Version 2 (tag team):
- A scammer posing as a local/tourist chats you up (e.g. ask for directions). Two fake police officers then appear and accuse you both of a crime.
- They demand to check your money and ID, which the scammer posing as local/tourist will give up and pressure you to do so as well.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport - only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.