How it works:
- Situation: before boarding a train, you have to validate your ticket by stamping it in a machine on the platform.
- Version 1: scammers exploit tourists’ unfamiliarity with this by offering already validated and thus invalid tickets at discounted prices.
- Version 2: scammers offer to help you with the ticket machine. They either charge you a fee for their help, or charge you am amount over the face value of the ticket they help you get.
Places to beware:
- Berlin: Berlin Hauptbahnhof
- Frankfurt: Frankfurt am Main Hauptbahnhof
What to do:
- Buy your tickets from the official counter.