How it works:
- Opening: a scammer posing as a fellow tourist asks you for help in taking a photo.
- Set-up: fake officers appear and accuse you both of transacting drugs. They demand to check your ID, bag and wallet and will steal whatever they can find.
Places to beware:
- Berlin: Tiergarten
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.