How it works:
- Bar: bar girls ordering expensive lady drinks (diluted drinks) on your tab.
- Club: a street tout tells you it is only €50 to see a girl dance inside a club. After you enter, you are told that is only the entrance fee and there are other inflated fees to pay.
- Others: overcharging your credit card, pickpockets, muggers, drunks, drug users.
Places to beware:
- Hamburg: Reeperbahn
What to do:
- Avoid: heading a suggested bar together with a stranger/tout.
- If not, consider: does the bar seem legitimate? Are there customers? Is the stranger evasive about things? Is he/she only bringing you to a particular restaurant or bar?
- Test your new “friend”: pretend you have company by suggesting to go another place where you have friends at. Ask for prices before ordering. Take a photo together.
- If scammed: threaten to call the police, pay with a credit card but call immediately to dispute the charges. Keep a separate bank account with little cash to limit your losses if threatened.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has pub crawls you can join.