How it works:
- The standard method: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- A unique method in Georgia: a (Armenian/Azeri) gypsy mother and her children will confront you and may beg you for money. Next the mother will try to distract you and the children will hug you. Whoever has the opportunity will then pick your pockets.
Places to beware:
- Batumi:Ali and Nino Statue, Argo Cable Car
- Tbilisi: Old Town (Altstadt) Tbilisi, The Bridge of Peace, KoteAbkhazi street
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.