How it works:
- Overview: here are some potential scenarios as contributed by a user.
- Version 1: being overcharged with a foreigner price. This is not technically a scam if it’s clearly stated, as such kinds of price discrimination do occur around the world. However, it should be clearly stated upfront. Else, it can easily be subject to abuse based on the staff’s mood on the day.
- Version 2: similar to taxi scams around the world, this is where the bus driver brings you to a tour agency or an accommodation instead of the one you wanted to head to so as to get a commission.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Research on a fair price so that you can negotiate if quoted an unfair one.
- To not end up at the wrong place, be firm about where you are headed to and use mobile GPS to track your location during the journey.