How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: serving the largest portions if you did not specify the size.
- Version 2: adding items you did not order to the bill.
- Version 3: using tourist menus with prices higher than for locals.
- Version 4: hiding certain details in footnotes and in French.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like TheFork) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tours platform in Europe) has a couple of food tours.