How it works:
- Situation: you will find a mix of different taxi companies and independent taxis which all have different rates. As such, it is easy to get overcharged here – taxis can charge anything as long as they display the prices on the window (a yellow sign) and on the dashboard. A fair price is for a tripto start at 2-3€ with 0.50€ charged for every km travelled.
- Airport: The good news is that the government is serious about this issue and has ensured that the airport and harbor only partner with reputable taxi companies.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Sourcing: avoid hiring taxis from the streets, at tourist spots and at nightclubs. Choose a taxi from one of the reputable companies as shown below. If possible, call for a taxi or use a taxi booking app like Bolt and Uber. Alternatively, you can also pre-arrange a pick-up.
- Photo: take a photo of the car plate and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: always check the price displayed and confirm on the fare first. You can find out a fair price by checking online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps. A good rule of thumb is that you will probably not exceed 10€ unless in very rare cases (e.g. from one end to another).
- Reputable taxi companies: Tallink (yellow, expensive); Tulika (Airport Taxi, expensive); Sobra (economy class); Marabu (mid-price); Luxlimu (limousine, Sclass Mercedes).