How it works:
- Situation: Tallinn is also known as the little Barcelona, which is one of the top pickpocket hotspots in the world. That said, there is no need to be paranoid as long as one is aware and prepared.
- Modus operandi: the professionals work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Tallinn: Tallinn Old Town, Viru Street, Toompea Hill, TallinnaRaekoja Plats, AleksanderNevskiKatedraali, TallinnaRaekoda, Viewing Point Kohtuotsa, Club Hollywood, Kopli, airport, train station, bus station, Central Market, clubs, bars
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.