How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: fake charity collectors.
Places to beware:
- Bath: Bath Abbey
- Birmingham: Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham Rag Market, St. Martin in the Bull Ring
- Brighton: The Lanes, North Laine, Brighton Beach, Brighton Palace Pier, British Airways i360, Kemptown
- Bristol: Cabot Tower
- Canterbury: Westgate Gardens
- Isle of Wight: Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Liverpool: Anfield Stadium, The Beatles Story, Liverpool ONE
- London: The British Museum, Tower of London, Borough Market, Tower Bridge, National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, V&A - Victoria and Albert Museum, Hyde Park, Houses of Parliament, Natural History Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Camden Market, Covent Garden, St. James's Park, Sky Garden, Imperial War Museum, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Coca-Cola London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Thames River, Brick Lane, Westminster, London Underground, St. Pancras International Station, Notting Hill, Horse Guards Parade at Whitehall, Piccadilly Circus, Portobello Road Market, Oxford Street, Greenwich Market, Harrods, Soho, Columbia Road Flower Market, South Bank, Science Museum, Regent Street, King's Cross Station, Westfield London, Madame Tussauds London, Leicester Square, Kensington Palace, ZSL London Zoo, Broadway Market, Green Park, West End Theatre District, Paddington Station, Chinatown, Winter Wonderland, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, Westfield Stratford City, Hippodrome Casino, South Kensington, The Queen's Gallery, Westminster Bridge, The Queen's Walk, West End, Knightsbridge, Nelson's Column, Queen Victoria Memorial, London Victoria Station, Downing Street, Marble Arch Theatre, Petticoat Lane, Camden Locks Canalside, Boadicea Monument, Statue of Eros
- Manchester: Etihad Stadium, National Football Museum, Gay Village, Palace Theatre, Albert Square, Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street
- Newcastle upon Tyne: The Tyne Bridge, Metro Radio Arena
- Norwich: Norwich Castle, Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
- Nottingham: City of Caves (Tigguo Cobauc), intu Victoria Centre
- Sheffield: Meadowhall Shopping Centre, The Peace Gardens
- York: Shambles, York Racecourse
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.