How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bike, bicycle: ride past with a pillion rider snatching your phone or bag. London’s shopping streets, especially Oxford Street (2100% increase from 2014 to 2016), see the most cases.
- Bar, restaurant, cafe, shop: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- ATM: distracting you and snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
- Car: rental cars have been targeted where window were smashed and bags/valuables or car parts have been stolen.
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.