How it works:
- Opening: scammer #1 asks for directions or if you can help to take photos. Next, two fake cops appear, accusing you both of engaging in illegal activities (e.g. drugs, counterfeit bills).
- Set-up: they demand to check your identification, bags and wallets, which scammer #1 will do so and encourage you to as well. If you hand these over, they may distract and then nick your valuables, cash or cards, or simply run away with it.
Places to beware:
- Please refer to location tags above
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.