How it works:
- Method: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Context: crowded attractions and transportation hubs, narrow and crowded walkways or stairs, crowded ceremonies (e.g.Amalienborg), etc.
Places to beware:
- Copenhagen: Nyhavn, St. Alban’s Church, Tivoli Gardens, Rosenborg Castle, Copenhagen King’s Square,Rundetarn, Kastellet, Frederiks Kirke, Amalienborg, Copenhagen City Hall, Stroeget, Our Saviour’s Church, Copenhagen Central
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.