How it works:
- Overview: although uncommon, there have been cases.
- Opening: someone comes up to you and asks if you can help him with a task (e.g point the correct direction for him; help him take a photo, etc).
- Set-up: two guys will appear out of nowhere and claim to be police officers by quickly flashing a badge. They will then accuse the earlier stranger of being up to no good (e.g. selling drugs) and then demand to check your passport/ID and wallet. Should you hand them over, they will swipe some money from your wallet.
Places to beware:
- Copenhagen: Nyhavn, Designmuseum Danmark
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.