How it works:
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Street, mall, shop, park, bus/metro station: snatching at night.
- Overnight train: bag theft on the Prague-Vienna route.
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Prague: Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square, etc)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).