How it works:
- The Czech Republic is famous for its Bohemian garnets/Prague garnets which are deep red pyrope gemstones. These can only mined in the country and they have been mined for centuries.
- However, the Czech Inspection Office and customs officials have found many fakes (e.g. another stone, colored glass, etc) being peddled in shops at touristy areas.
Places to beware:
- Karlovy Vary: Asia Dragon Bazaar
What to do:
- Learn how to different real from fake – real Czech garnets are hallmarked with the letter G or G1 and shop at reputable retailers (e.g. Granat Turnov, Halada).
- Make sure to get a certificate and a dated receipt in case you need to seek recourse.