How it works:
- Situation: the vast majority of tourists would probably not fall for this but on the off-chance that you do, you need to know how to spot the red flags.
- Version 1: card skimmer installed to capture your card details, pinhole camera/keypad over installed to capture your PIN.
- Version 2: card slot is rigged with a device to trap your card. When you find your card stuck, scammer tells you to type your PIN thrice to eject it. This is false - simply a trick to see your PIN. If you head somewhere to seek help, the scammer will release your card and escape.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid using ATMs at dark, secluded areas. Use only at controlled environments (e.g. banks).
- Scan the area for suspicious looking characters, look out for red flags of a rigged ATM and cover your PIN when typing it in.