How it works:
- Situation: there are three issues to watch out for here.
- Issue 1: if you arrive at Paphos or Larnaca Airport, is the shuttle fee to the airport car park covered by the company?
- Issue 2: what is the fuel policy of the company? Is there only a fuel empty policy where you return excess fuel (since no one returns it empty) and are charged inflated rates for the company to refill a full tank of fuel?
- Issue 3: is the car in good condition? There have been some shady operators (the minority) who charge inflated repair fees for minor damages (e.g. scratches, chips) not caused by you. These damages will not be repaired anyway.
What to do:
- If you are planning to drive, make sure to research and understand the rules of driving (e.g. having an international driving license, speed limits, road signs, etc).
- Next, rent from a reputable shop or from an online agent/aggregator like AutoEurope (over 60 years of experience) which will help you in case you face any issues.
- Thoroughly inspect your vehicle before use and take photos and videos as evidence. Read the terms and conditions of the insurance contract carefully. At the point of returning the car, take photos and videos again to serve as proof in case need.
- After your trip, check that your deposit has been refunded.