How it works:
- Situation: generally, multipacks (e.g. 1.5kg) rather than single packs are more prone to being tampered with.
- Version 1: bundling genuine and fake Golden Virginia tobacco packs together in a multi-pack. You can spot the fake which has the red label with the text “sealed for freshness”.
- Version 2: removing some packs from a multipack and then replacing it with a sticker to cover it up.
- Version 3: opening up individual packs and replacing the genuine stuff with fake ones.
What to do:
- Ideally, only buy at large supermarkets or at airport shops.
- Before buying, look at the price. If a price is too good to be true, it probably is.
- After buying, check your packs to see if they show any signs of being tampered with or if there is the red sticker with the marking “sealed for freshness”.
- To seek recourse, pay with a credit card and get a receipt so that you can claim a refund if you find that the tobacco if you have bought is fake. Alternatively, you can threaten to report the shop to the police if they do not give you a refund.