How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Dubrovnik: Ancient City Walls, Old Town. Pile Gate, Stradun
- Pula: Amphitheatre de Pula
- Rovinj: Fountain on Main Square
- Split: Diocletian’s Palace, Old Split, Riva Harbor
- Zagreb: Tkalciceva, Upper Town (Gornji grad), Lower Town (Donji grad), Hrelić (flea market), Train stations: Glavni Kolodvor, Zagreb Zapadni Kolodvor Strossmayer šetalište
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.