How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run, distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Street, mall, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Beach: snatching bags from tourists who are relaxed or in the water. There are cases of young girls being used as baits to bring drunkards to the beach under the promise of sexual activity only for the victim to then be mugged by a group of men.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
- Parked car: smashing your windows and snatching your valuables.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Sofia at night: Sofia Central Station, Maria Luiza Boulevard, parks around Palace of Culture, Borisova gradina)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.