How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: prostitute pickpocket – pretend to proposition you by grabbing and touching you, which is just a front to steal valuables from your pocket or bag.
Places to beware:
- Nessebar: Old Nessebar
- Plovdiv: bus line 1
- Sofia: Catedral de Sveta-Nedelya, St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral, National Palace of Culture Congress Centre, Central Market Hall (Tsentralni Hali), Zhenski Pazar Women’s Market
- Varna: Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.