How it works:
- Opening: fake police officers show you an ID, then ask to check your bags/valuables as they want to check if you have counterfeit bills/drugs.
- Set-up: while rummaging through your belongings, they nick some of your valuables.
Places to beware:
- Nessebar: Sunny Beach
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.