How it works:
- Pickpockets here tend to be migrants from the east, gypsy children/older women/beggars as well as professionals. Both locals and tourists have been targeted.
- They generally work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Mostar: Old Bridge (Stari Most), Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar, Old Bazar Kujundziluk
- Sarajevo: Bascarsija, Sarajevo City Center, SebiljBrunnen (Fountain), trams, buses
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.