How it works:
- Version 1: “forgetting” to turn on the meter and then charging an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: at the airport, claiming that a shuttle is cancelled, and getting you to take their taxi where they will quote you an inflated fare.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots.
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. eCab, Uber, taxi.eu).
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has 10+ other transport options.