How it works:
- Version 1: selling treated diamonds instead of natural ones; non-certified diamonds (GIA/HRD); fake diamonds (made of cubic zirconium or metal).
- Version 2: hiding problems with the diamonds.
- Version 3: hiding overvalued appraisal document and claiming better specs than in reality.
- Version 4: inflated price tags or special discounts to lure you in but which will not be met.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Look for: reputable retailers with rich histories; members of the diamond exchange and of Antwerp’s Most Brilliant; diamonds certified by GIA, HRD, IGI; Lifetime warranty.
- Seeking recourse: consult the diamond police in Antwerp.