How it works:
- Version 1: street touts who offer fake tickets at a discount, claiming that they are unable to attend or that they have an inside source.
- Version 2: touts dressed as Mozart in long velvet capes claiming to be authorized resellers and who make these fake claims:
- Claiming a world class orchestra playing at a world class location, when it is a concert by mediocre performers in a normal setting.
- Claiming the ticket is for a front row seat when it is a seat with obstructed views.
- Claiming that the concert is sold out when it is not.
- Claiming that only they have the tickets.
- Version 3: some hotel staff are part of this scheme as well.
Places to beware:
- Vienna: State Opera House, Stephansplatz, Karlskirche, Hofburg
What to do:
- Buy tickets direct from official sources or licensed retailers.
- Alternatively, check out online platforms like GetYourGuide (best day tours platform in Europe) which has popular concert and opera tickets/tours as well.