How it works:
- Version 1: after you pay, a lower quality item is swapped with the actual item.
- Version 2: fake stuff (e.g. silk, pearls, war relics).
- Version 3: claiming something is free and then charging you for it.
- Version 4: rigging the weighing scale.
- Version 5: quoting 10 but not specifying if it’s 10 USD or 10,000 dong.
- Version 6: currency switcheroo.
Places to beware:
- Da Lat: Dalat Market, Datanla Falls
- Hanoi: Night Market, Dong Xuan Market, Ta Hien Street
- Hoi An: Night Market
- Ho Chi Minh City: Ben Thanh Market
What to do:
- Haggle hard and clarify the price, currency and if any hidden fees.
- For authentic products or fixed price shops, check out shopping malls or government owned shops.
- Alternatively, Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has a shopping tour.