How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: tourist menus with inflated prices.
- Version 2: misleading prices (per piece, not per dish).
- Version 3: charging what you did not order (e.g. peanuts); serving what was not ordered.
- Version 4: listing prices in USD but only collecting payment in dong with a bad exchange rate.
- Version 5: displaying fresh seafood but serving old seafood. Seafood on display may also have been injected with chemicals to look fresh.
Places to beware:
- Please refer to the location tags above
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (check foody.vn or TripAdvisor) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has a couple of food tours.