How it works:
- Cars have been disguised to look like one from the reputable companies (Vinasun, Mai Linh).
- Similar but different phone number on side of the car (real Vinasun: 38272727; real Mai Linh: 383838).
- Identical but different car decal of the company logo (e.g. Vinasum, Vinnasun).
- Fake name cards of Vinasun or Mai Linh.
- Tiny, dodgy looking meter.
- They may tell you a low fee to entice you at the start, but once you take the ride:
- An inflated fare is demanded in the middle of the trip on a highway/secluded place.
- Doors will be locked until you pay or you may simply be driven to an armed gang.
Places to beware:
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Nha Trang
What to do:
- Reliable taxis: Mai Linh (green taxi), Vinasun (white taxi).
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Grab, EasyTaxi); day tour platforms like Klook (best in Asia) with 20+ transport options.