How it works:
- Version 1:
- There have been reports of drink spiking and it generally happens if you accept drinks from a stranger (can be anyone – e.g. a backpacker, local, staff, prostitute, etc).
- You may then be robbed or sexually assaulted.
- Version 2:
- It could also be due to fake/adulterated alcohol, as raised by a contributor.
- This is because it is difficult to differentiate between symptoms of spiked drinks vs adulterated drinks.
- Note that alcohol is highly taxed in Vietnam which means some manufacturers cut corners and only small amounts of alcohol is properly regulated and inspected.
Places to beware:
- Ho Chi Minh City: Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao
- Nha Trang
What to do:
- Drink spiking:
- Do not accept drinks that you have not seen made in front of you. Do not leave it unattended.
- Canned or bottled drinks are recommended as it is more difficult for someone to put a sedative inside.
- Adulterated drinks:
- Ideally, drink at reputable establishments and be wary of cheap drinks/promotions.