How it works:
- The sand dune areas of Mui Ne is infamous for corrupt traffic officers who will stop and accuse you of a traffic offence you did not commit.
- To be let go, a bribe of ~200,000 Dong has to be paid.
Places to beware:
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Phan Thiet: Mui Ne
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.