How it works:
- When any tour company becomes famous in Vietnam, copycats with similar names will pop up.
Places to beware:
- Examples of good companies that have been copied: ODC Travel, Handspan, Kangaroo Café, etc.
- The most notorious are the dozens of Sinh Cafes around the country – the real one is now called TheSinhTourist (http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Mekong Delta, Cu Chi Tunnel, Halong Bay, etc), or check out this page for the best tours in Vietnam.
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.
- Seeking recourse: dispute any charges with your bank if a credit card is use, or seek help from the police or the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism.