How it works:
- When any tour company becomes famous in Vietnam, copycats with similar names will pop up.
Places to beware:
- Examples of good companies that have been copied: ODC Travel, Handspan, Kangaroo Café, etc.
- The most notorious are the dozens of Sinh Cafes around the country – the real one is now called TheSinhTourist (http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Mekong Delta, Cu Chi Tunnel, Halong Bay, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.
- Seeking recourse: dispute any charges with your bank if a credit card is use, or seek help from the police or the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism.