How it works:
- Scam 1: female boat ticket sellers who will overcharge you by 3-4x the fair price.
- Scam 2: standard restaurant scams at the floating restaurant (e.g. no menu, serving what you did not order, etc).
- Scam 3: claiming that the boat leaves soon and that you should pay for a golf cart to get to the harbour faster.
- Scam 4: unscrupulous tour companies with overpriced, low quality tours with promises unmet.
Places to beware:
- Haiphong: Cat Ba Island
What to do:
- Buy boat tickets at the terminal, not from a tout.
- Alternatively, you may consider arranging a tour – Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has some such tours.