How it works:
- Situation: the vast majority of tourists would probably not fall for this but on the off-chance that you do, you need to know how to spot the red flags.
- Version 1: card skimmer installed to capture your card details. Pinhole camera/keypad overlay installed to capture your PIN.
- Version 2: card slot is rigged with a device to trap your card. When you find your card stuck, scammer tells you to type your PIN thrice to eject it. This is false - simply a trick to see your PIN. If you head somewhere to seek help, the scammer will release your card and escape.
Places to beware:
- Can Tho
- Da Nang
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hoi An
- Nha Trang
What to do:
- Where: use ATMs at controlled environments (e.g. banks).
- Scan: the area for suspicious looking characters and red flags of a rigged ATM.
- Cover: your PIN while typing.
- Notify: set up SMS notification when a transaction is processed on your card.
- Bank account: use a separate account just for traveling and change your PIN after your trip as scammers can still strike some time after your trip if they have your details.