How it works:
- There are many unlicensed taxis/private cars who can give a ride. You will definitely have to negotiate but without knowing Russian or the Uzbek language, you will be overcharged relative to what locals pay.
- At Tashkent International Airport, you will encounter many touts offering taxi services. Note that they are not the official taxis. There is an official taxi counter though a high rate is charge (60,000 soum).
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: get the official dispatcher to call one for you. They are yellow or black in color, with a taxi sign and a working meter.
- Alternatives: use taxi booking apps (e.g. Yandex) or pre-arrange transport.