How it works:
- The good news is that with Uzbekistan being a police state, crime rates are low and violent crime is practically unheard of. That said, you should not rule out opportunistic pickpockets at crowded places.
- The standard tactic is to work as a pair – one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you while another grab and hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Tashkent: Chorsu Bazaar, minibuses
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.