How it works:
- According to the Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index, Uzbekistan is ranked #157 out of 180 in 2018. Corruption is endemic, though there have been efforts to stem it.
- This used to be more of a problem in the past when tourists were harassed for a bribe for an offence which they did not commit (e.g. while driving, at the airport, etc). It has since improved today but it is still something to be wary of.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.