How it works:
- An official looking tout intercepts you and offers a taxi without queuing. You will then be brought to an unmarked car with no taxi sign and no meter.
- One thing will happen – you will be overcharged.
Places to beware:
- Abu Dhabi: Al Muroor bus station
- Dubai: Dubai international airport, Dubai Mall, Dubai Miracle Garden
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxi: cream colored, taxi sign, working meter.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Careem, Dubai Taxi) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (leading globally) with 10+ transport options.