How it works:
- Version 1: not using the meter or not even having a meter, then charging you an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: although taxi meters are difficult to tamper with, crooks have their methods to rig them to jump faster or more.
- Version 3: taking a longer route or detour to inflate the fare.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Aquaventure Waterpark, Dubai Mall).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Careem, Dubai Taxi).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.
- Rigged meter red flags: tampered/missing meter seal, only fare is displayed, driver clicking a hidden switch, driving slowly at a high speed area to prevent meter from jumping wildly.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 10+ transport options.