How it works:
- Version 1: vendors which sell fake gold jewelry with fake trademarks of international brands.
- Version 2: after making payment for a real piece, the vendor heads to the back of the shop to swap your product to a cheap knock off in a wrapped package and passes this to you.
Places to beware:
- Dubai: Deira Gold Souk, Meena Bazaar
What to do:
- Learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, or only visit licensed, reputable shops.
- Always check your item after purchase.
- If you have been scammed, file a complaint – the vendor loses his/her license if found guilty.
- Alternatively, GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform) has some shopping tours.