How it works:
- Fake police officers flash their badges and ask for your passport or ID.
- Version 1: the fake officers distract you, so an accomplice can steal from you.
- Version 2: you pass your wallet over, one steals your cards/cash while the other distracts you.
- Version 3: aggressive ones simply threaten you with deportation or imprisonment, unless you hand over cash or your ATM pin number.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.